06 December 2009

Fancy schmancy....

A couple of halloweens ago I had an idea to make a really nice black & purple fairy/demon/whatever outfit. It was to consist of a split sleeve chemise and double layer (sparkly tulle over satin) kerchief skirt. Here's the pic:

So after making that chemise, I figured I wanted another "open sleeve" style chemise, but not using sheer fabric, more cotton or muslin, something to wear on a regular day at faire, when I wanted to look a bit more "dressy".

I had seen various sleeve options that were offered for merchant and nobility bodices, and though "hey, I wonder how that would work as a sleeve for a chemise...", I sat down one night and started describing my idea to my friend Stephen, who added his thoughts. By the end of the conversation, I knew what it was I wanted to do...

This is the final product:

the final outcome was an open sleeve chemise, with 4 tie points at each sleeve. Each tie point was designed to gather as well to prevent the droop you see on the other chemise and to try and maintain a slight puff at those points of said sleeve. The tie points are: wrist, mid forearm, elbow, and mid upper arm. This allows for me to wear the sleeve various ways, such as full split (only tied at the wrists), open from elbow down (tie at elbow and/or mid upper arm), full open, full closed...well, you get the idea.

I think this chemise only took me, maybe 4 days. Partially due to taking my time to make sure the channels were straight, plus having to wait to get more ribbon for the ties, as I didn't think to read the side of the ribbon spool as opposed to how much I actually needed, plus finding beads to fit onto the ribbon was interesting.

Here is a pic a friend of mine took so I could have one of me actually wearing it:

I nicknamed it the "chemise of doom" but it wasn't too horrible of a nightmare to make. Prolly wouldn't make another, and if I do, it'll be for me, or I'll be getting paid to make it :P lol

No comments:

Post a Comment